Thursday 6 December 2012

Beautyblender review and FOTD

I picked up 2 beautyblenders in my recent Sephora haul and got to use them today :) I've skipped foundation recently as I've been too lazy to wash my brushes (I love makeup but I hate that brushes don't clean themselves... first world problems haha) so I decided to kill two birds with one stone by reviewing the beautyblender and doing a FOTD all in one post :)

The beautyblenders were $39.95 including a blendercleanser which can also be used for cleaning makeup brushes.

2 beautyblenders

The blendercleanser is on the right hand side
I first found out about these from youtube tutorials where lots of people used them to apply foundation really really quickly. I love anything that saves me time in the morning! I didn't buy it though as I thought that it might've been overhyped but I caved and now that I've used it, I like it but I also think that you could easily do without it (and it's a bit too expensive!).

Instructions:

To prepare your beautyblender for makeup application you must first drench it using a squeezing motion under water until it expands and is saturated with water. Next, squeeze excess water out and towel dry leaving your beautyblender feeling damp and ready for use.

Pro's:

- No streaking in my foundation
- Makes it really really fast to put on foundation. It took less than half the time it normally takes me with a makeup brush
- Egg shaped so it gets into every nook and cranny of your face
- It's pink!
- It's very versatile. I've seen it used for bronzer and blush as well.

Con's:

- Price. It's a bit expensive considering that $39.95 is the US price.
- Can be unhygienic. I can't figure out how to dry it after washing it. I can't just put it directly onto a table or it'll gather dust/stuff from the table.

I think that if you've already got good foundation brushes, you won't need this at all unless you're looking to cut down on the time it takes for you to do your makeup. If you don't have a good foundation brush, you should think about buying this.

Size of the beautyblender next to my face
and FOTD
I think that I'm going to hunt down my camera as my iPhone 4S camera isn't cutting it anymore. It's great for outdoor photos but not so great for indoor ones (in my house). The photo above looks slightly photoshopped when it was actually just bad lighting...

This is pretty much the look I do when I'm bothered to do anything more than concealer + eyeliner. I love really natural looks with minimal eye makeup (I'm not too good with using eyeshadow as my lids are very hooded).

I'm wearing:

- Bourjois Healthy Mix Foundation in 53
- Make Up For Ever concealer in shade 8
- Maybelline Masterliner in brown
- Benefit Brow Zings in dark
- Benefit Thrrrob blush
- Benefit Hoola
- MAC Bare Again Sheen Supreme Lipstick



Eeek.. time for another eyebrow shaping
appointment!
And no... my hand didn't slip when I put
eyeliner on my bottom lash line.. that's a big fat
(permanent) crease

On a side note... does anyone know how to tame big frizzy wavy hair? I've been slowly cutting my hair shorter and shorter over the last 3 months and now it's 30cm shorter than I started off with! (It just hits my bra strap now). It's also gone from super long and straight to big bouffy frizzy wavy hair that can't be tamed (which is why I cropped it out of all my photos :P)

35 comments:

  1. I am so tempted to cave into the beauty blender hype too! Thanks for the review :)
    xo

    http://bubblybabblings.blogspot.com.au/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely get it if you don't already have good makeup brushes :)

      Delete
  2. Beauty Blenders are so cute :)
    I should wash your brushes for you ;) I quite like washing them, it gives me such satisfaction to see all the gunk come out of them! haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I absolutely hate it haha I'd rather go without makeup than wash them :P

      Delete
  3. i love BB but its always difficult to wash as I'm afraid I might tear it off. It also takes time to let it dry so I probably will just stick with my bare hands on applying foundation..lolz ^_~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no.. now I'm going to be worried every time I wash them :P Maybe we could use like one part of it each time we do our makeup? and keep doing that until the whole beautyblender is dirty.... haha you can probably tell that I really hate washing brushes and applicators

      Delete
  4. Frizzy hair usually means dry hair. Maybe you are washing it too often and perhaps need to use your leave in conditioner more frequently? There are serums you can use but I am a bit of a hair noob haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have some serums at home but I never used them because I never had a need to.. guess I do now :)

      Delete
  5. Oh man I can relate to the frizzy hair comment. I think loreal mythic oil helps a lot but I haven't found a holy grail friz fixer yet D:
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let me know when you've found one :) I love my new hair length but it's driving me nuts!

      Delete
  6. ive heard alot about beauty blender but have yet to try them out. thanks for reviewing it! =)

    x
    elviemousse.blogspot.sg

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've been meaning to try the Beauty Blender for a while, but I keep balking at the price. I think I'll give it a miss.

    Moroccan Oil (or any brand of argan oil) helps with my frizz but I always just put my hair in a bun on humid days so I don't have to worry about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I put mine up in a bun today as I couldn't face dealing with the frizziness :P

      You're not missing out on much if you already have good makeup brushes :) The beautyblender is a little gimmicky.

      Delete
  8. I still think the sponge can be unhygienic and I have a lot of good foundation brushes already so I don't see the need for a sponge. You can find these beauty blenders on ebay for $2 and the quality is the same - that's what gossmakeupartist says anyways. I've seen M.A.C sell them too for I think $40 each?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My ecotools foundation brush got scratchy which is what motivated me to buy the beautyblender but if I'd known that they were cheaper on eBay, I probably would've gotten it from there. I watched the beautyblender dupe video by gossmakeupartist. Is he an Aussie living in the UK? He speaks like one and sort of has our accent :P

      $40 is crazy... MAC brushes are insanely priced...

      Delete
  9. I haven't tried using any sponge blender for my foundation, I actually don't know how to use it .:) Btw, for the frizzy hair try using Finesse mousse for curly hair I'm using that one :)

    eyahnism.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :) My hair's tamed a little bit now that it's grown another centimetre or two.

      Delete
  10. Hmmm I was thinking about caving, however, I don't think that I will after reading this. Of course, the price is such a huge turn off, and I have a lot of good make-up brushes already so I just don't think it'd be worth it for me. It does sound good, but also a bit unhygienic like you mentioned -___-" haha
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's definitely something you can give a miss! I haven't even used it again recently!

      Delete
  11. I cant get myself to pick up one of these as it is just TOO DAMN expensive! Plus I have no idea how to use it! :| I might just waste it!

    ♥,
    Shari

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're definitely too expensive! I bet they'd sell heaps if they were cheaper like $5 each or something.

      Delete
  12. cool!!!! id always want to try the "original" version of this!! :D

    Click me for my NEW BLOG

    ReplyDelete
  13. wow what a great idea for a product, looks great!

    happy holidays!
    natalie
    http://lucyandtherunaways.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The concept is good but I'm not sure that it's really all that practical.

      Delete
  14. Love your blog, very cute ! Feel free to visit my blog anytime and maybe follow back if you like what you see ;-)

    kisses Keke (Pakize)

    http://madamekeke.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. I never really got into the beautyblender hype... I guess it's because I like using my fingers and I never bother with a brush (I'm too lazy to wash brushes often, which I feel is necessary for brushes that have been used for applying liquid foundation).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so lazy and don't like to wash my brushes too! Which is why I also like to use my fingers :)

      Delete
  16. I thought about buying this beautyblender, too. But I won't use it often XD So I guess I will use my brush :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't bother with it unless you'll use it heaps. It's too expensive :P

      Delete
  17. I bought a soho dupe that works great- no way I'd spend that much for a beauty blender! :/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are heaps of good dupes out there! I feel like I've wasted my money on the beautyblenders :(

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...